Recruiting for "Super Smash Bros Unify"

Sm4sh Mods Forums General Discussion Recruiting for "Super Smash Bros Unify"

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by kienamaru kienamaru 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kienamaru
    kienamaru
    Participant
    Looking for texture creators, stage creators, interface people, sound people, and music people. I’m a former PSAer but I’m not sure if there’s a name for that yet. (Sm4sh Commander?) Character modelers and animators will be needed in the future.
    This is a large scale project that I have no plans on ending for years to come. I have the basic mission statement and some likely questions below as well. I also have a massive character and mechanics change list that I won’t list here, but would rather wait for actual teammates before going into all of the details.
    What is Super Smash Bros Unify?
        Unify is a Smash Bros for Wii U mod designed to make all of the characters viable without going overboard. Characters with excess power will be toned down while those with too little will be brought up to par.
    Is this game aiming toward the casual or the competitive scene?
        I would say that Unify is aiming at the skilled casuals and competitives. The people who like to have fun playing with their friends, and are skilled enough to care about the balance of the game. Perfect balance is not achieveable but the goal is to have no matchups worse than 70-30, those being the most polarizing in the game.
    What kind of changes can I expect to see on my characters? Any hope of advanced techniques returning?
        Keeping a character’s identity is very important in Unify. Characters who are known all rounders like R.O.B. or Pit will keep that versatility, whereas others who have potential to be so (Link, Toon Link, Samus will be joining their ranks. Characters who are currently linear or one trick ponies will have their movesets tweaked to offer more mixups to make their game less dependent on a single strategy. Characters will fit into categories based on the usual design tropes. As for ATs, one of the main goals in Unify is to add more depth to individual characters with abilities similar to Shulk’s MALLC, however universal ATs such as wave dashing or DACUS won’t be making a comeback.
    Any plans for the Clones and DLC Characters?
        There will be an effort to declone the clone characters. Whether that is fully decloning or turning them into semi clones will depend on the character. A good example of a semi clone would be Lucas or Toon Link when compared to Ness and Link. Lucas being even less of a clone than Toon Link is. Lucina, Pit, and Dr Mario are the most likely to receive drastic moveset changes. The DLC characters will be receiving custom moves if possible.
    Speaking of customs, what happens with those?
        Customs should be used to add different ways to play your character that fit into their niche. Giving everyone customs as varied and unique as Palutena or Mega Man is ideal. Characters who can draw from canon will have more options generally, but there will be others who have moves made up to help them. Some might even draw from the Mii Fighters.
    Are there likely to be changes to the stages as well?
        There are plans for the Omega versions of levels to be more varied while all remaining competitive. This gives more variety for Omega only tourneys without getting in the way of casual fun. Expect to see stages more similar to Battlefield, Smashville, or Lylat.
    Will there be changes to the mechanics of the game that alter the way its played?
        The mechanics will be changed to make the game more fierce, more fun, and more responsive. Things like rage won’t contribute as much in turning a match around as it currently does. The goal is for there to be less frustration for all types of players by making offense and defense as close to equally effective as possible.
    Any reason for the name “Unify?”
         Actually, yes. Unify was chosen for three reasons. It’s simple and easy to remember, it fits thematically with the U console, and lastly, the mod is to be developed with as much input from the players as possible to create a unified vision of what the game should be.

I am the Dusk Wind.

• This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by kienamaru kienamaru.
    Omegah
    Omegah
    Participant

Long time Kien. Right now I’m a jack of all trades besides modeling itself. I would like to join, really into texture and interface work so I’ll be there for awhile. Go ahead and add me to that recruit list.

kienamaru
    kienamaru
    Participant

Will do. I also have a skype chat if you and whoever else joins is up for it. Might end up having to make a Discord though with how Smash 4 modding works.

I am the Dusk Wind.

Omegah
    Omegah
    Participant

Invite me whenever the Skype IRC is up and running. 

omega59
    omega59
    Participant

I’ve got decent texturing experience, and I plan on making some costumes for the game. Directly on topic, since I actually main Wii Fit Trainer, I’ve got some ideas on how the character can be buffed, in particular. So yeah, I’d be willing to help contribute. If you want me to go in detail on my ideas, though, just go ahead and ask me, since this topic wasn’t directly about that.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by omega59 omega59. Reason: Why was it even bolded in the first place?
    kienamaru
    kienamaru
    Participant

Well I haven’t really been around here in about two weeks. I’ve finished with all 55? of the characters, with everyone receiving some sort of changes except for R.O.B who I really think is one of the best balanced characters, even if he is annoying. I plan on releasing Unify Version 0.5 sometime this weekend. Still experimenting with CSS ideas.

Version 0.5 will include:
    Parameter changes for most of the roster. Jumpsquats in particular are now 4, 5, or 6 frames (Bowser.) This will allow slightly more precise control over the character as well as making some combos that required frame perfection to be a little more lenient. Weight, run speed, air speed, and walljumps have also been noticeably tweaked on quite a few characters.

Balance changes throughout the entire roster excluding R.O.B. These changes are intended to add depth to the game by forcing players to rely on different strategies as their opponent’s percent rises. Moves that combo into themselves have been toned down drastically, while gaining a slight boost to damage to compensate. Grabs that combo into aerials no longer guarantee followups into kill percents, though some 50/50s still remain. (Full changelogs will be with each character this weekend)

Voice changes for the following:
    Lucario (nonmega)- using his Brawl voice
    Cloud- using his KH/Dissidia English voice

I am the Dusk Wind.

nethermaker
    Participant

I would suggest changing the CSS. Currently, you’ve made it so that DLC characters can be moved on the CSS, and this is all well and good, but the issue is that doing this also unlocks the DLC characters for you, regardless of whether or not you’re purchased them. THIS IS PIRACY. I’m not going to say any more here, but since you were able to change them in the first place, I trust that you know how to change them back. It’s annoying to not be able to move them without this happening, but there’s no way around this. Please change it ASAP.

omega59
    omega59
    Participant

Wait, changing the DLC CSS path has that side effect? Odd. Still, is there a particular reason the DLC characters really need to move on the CSS, in any case?

On topic, I’ll see if I can get the mod and test it out, I want to check out the changes as soon as I can, and provide some feedback on how the game balance feels. I still gotta dump my game first, though.

kienamaru
    kienamaru
    Participant

The order of DLC characters isn’t changed on the Unify CSS unless I made some kind of mistake.

I am the Dusk Wind.

ryohasson
    Participant

Hello! I’m not here for the application, but I have a question, and this seems to be the only forum for smash Unify, which is what my question was about. So while I was testing the new balance changes against a random CPU, they were using mega characters, such as giga mac, giga bowser, and wario man, so I’m wondering if there is any way to choose those. Thanks in advance

kienamaru
    kienamaru
    Participant

I have no idea how that happened, but it also happened when I was playing. It’s one of two bugs in the game that I have no idea how to fix. I’ve only seen them show up when random is picked, and it can happen to the player as well. It’s problematic because the game will crash on the results screen if it happens.

Anyway, I know I’ve been away for a long while. Unify 1.0 is about ready for release. I’ve got a lot of new changes, character overhauls and more that I’m really excited to get out there. I just need help getting a video together to showcase them and I’ll be good to release the true SSBUnify 1.0

I am the Dusk Wind.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.